Thursday, May 3, 2012

Confessions of an Altoholic

Maaluna, my ally main. She's a rockin' shaman.


My main is an 85 BM/MM hunter. I've been playing Maruka for a looong time. I can't even remember how long. I'm a good hunter. I make mistakes from time to time, but overall, I know what I'm doing and I'm comfortable playing Maruka. HUNTERS RULE! Not all of us are huntards, just so ya know. When Cataclysm came out, Zorish and I, Zorish is the husband, went from 80-85 in no time at all. We maxed out all of our Cata reps, ran the dungeons and then the dailies so much that everything was becoming really repetitive. I've never been into PvP so what's left? BIG burnout. We took a break from our mains for about, well, I would say it's been about a year when it comes right down to it. We both made some alts and have been playing those.

I had this idea that I would make a bunch of characters all with different professions and level them up together, keeping them all within five levels of each other. Then I made one bank toon to keep all their stuff. This made leveling professions waaaaaaaay easy and fast because my toons could all rely on each other and instead of selling extra mats on the AH or vendoring everything, they send all their extras to the bank toon and the bank toon then distributes things as needed. She also manages all their auctions and extra gold. It's been real effective and a successful experiment. 

I have six ally toons that I play on another server and they're all level 73's with one 72. I have a couple more ally alts on that server as well, but I don't play them regularly. All my ally toons are in level 25 guilds which has made leveling go along fast. Just recently, I decided to make a horde gang on my original QD server.

For this group of toons, I've kept all of them out of guilds with the exception of one because I got an invite that I couldn't refuse. I did this because I wanted the experience of leveling everyone up without any exp boosts. I have found very few people that understand the fact that my favorite part of the game is questing. I have a touch of OCD and it REALLY annoys me when I level out of an area before completing all the quests. This group has had the advantage of having Maruka on the same server. She has considerably more gold than a toon just starting out so it's been easy to keep their professions leveled and all have enough bags, lol. Basically, my level 85 main became a bank toon for the last year. :(  I also have my very first warrior which is so fun to play and I have a rogue that I actually like to play. I usually hate rogues.

Keeping up with this many alts can be a bit much at times, especially the ones that are in guilds and will get kicked out for inactivity. But it has been so much fun and keeps me in the game. I'm in it for a year no matter what so I may as well get my money's worth, right?

Do you have an alt obsession? What do you do to keep game boredom at bay?

10 comments:

  1. I just got my 4th character to 85 and am feeling a little overwhelmed by my alts right now. I dinged 85 on him on Monday (prot warrior) and managed to get my ilvl high enough to get into LFR that night. All I can think now is "Oh god, another character I have to run through LFR every week" At least tanking is different enough to stay interesting.

    My main boredom destroyer in WoW has been working on Achievements on my mage. I've always been a completionist, but felt overwhelmed by having so many achievements to do on so many different characters. Now I just pick a random one and go do it, just on my mage.

    Nice blog, I'm in full support of the Newbie Blogger Initiative =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agh! Achievements on alts is TOUGH!! I'm like you, I pick one and take them through the holiday. Trying to do more than that makes it seem like work instead of having fun playing a game.

      Delete
  2. Hi, my name's Erinys and I'm addicted to making alts (even when they're the same class as my main)!

    I like variety and having multiple characters keeps things interesting. I also pvp a lot so playing most classes myself helps me figure out how to beat them when I meet them on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erinys,

      I totally think it's a good idea to play alts in order to understand and anticipate what to expect in a BG or other pvp play.

      Delete
  3. Howdy, I'm Askevar and I'm a bit altoholic myself :)

    I swapped my main to a new server in August and we're still catching up with professions :)

    I mainly play alliance but one thing I've done lately is explore the horde faction a little bit.

    Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Askevar,

      I like playing both sides if just to have different scenery in the starting areas, lol.

      Thanks for the welcome. :)

      Delete
  4. I was an altaholic in LOTRO mainly so I could have a self-contained crafting circle but I never got anyone to level cap before I gave up on that game. I found that when boredom crept in I wanted a totally different experience and I usually revert to Left 4 Dead 2. It's exciting, easy, and co-operative (I don't do PvP).

    I'm really excited about Guild Wars 2 though - the beta left me in no doubt I never want to play an old-style MMO ever again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play Guild Wars way back, maybe shortly after it first came out. I remember buying the first expansion when *it* came out, so I started playing sometime in between there. I'm very, very tempted to get GW2 because of all the bloggers that can't seem to stop talking about it, lol. I think playing multiple games is closely related to being an altoholic in a single game. They're cousins or something.

      And I don't do PvP either. I suck at it and all it does is piss me off.

      Delete
    2. The World vs World in GW2 looks like the kind of PvP I could really enjoy - less chance of egos and newbie ganking.

      Delete
    3. Seriously, stop talking about GW2. I'm gonna have to buy it and I'm trying to save my money for a unicorn. ;)

      Delete

You've come this far...